The Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie
Position: Fire Prevention & Emergency Planning
Job Posting: 035-046-2022
Division: Education, Prevention & Emergency Management
Wage Range: $78,580
Job Class: 9
Shifts: 42 hours/week
Status: Full Time
Posted: July 21, 2022
Closes: July 28, 2022, 4:30pm
Provide support and assistance with Fire Prevention and Emergency Management duties.
Primary Duties and Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
1. Support Community Emergency Management Coordinator (CEMC) in the development, update, testing, exercise and maintenance of the municipal Emergency Management Program in accordance with applicable legislated requirements.
2. Participate in the coordination, development, update, testing, exercise and maintenance of the municipality’s business continuity plans.
3. Assist CEMC in ensuring the emergency operation centre is maintained in a state of continual readiness.
4. Assist CEMC in developing and managing response to emergencies and potential emergencies and manage provision of/provide emergency management advice, and recommendations to senior provincial and community officials and stakeholders.
5. Co-chair/participate on internal and external committees, councils and working groups related to emergency management.
6. Act as CEMC Alternate, as required.
7. On call (weekends / nights) to respond to EOC during an emergency.
8. Perform File Search requests for real estate transactions.
9. Issue Open Air Burn permits and respond to Burning Complaints.
10. Administer Firework Applications for approval by Chief Fire Official (CFO).
11. Prepare and Issue Suspension Letters concerning Open Air Burning.
12. Monitor Open Air Burning (OAB) Electronic website, input OAB renewals and new applications.
13. Perform and administer Cost Recovery Fees.
14. Assist Fire Prevention Officers and / Public Education Officer, as required.
15. Perform all other related duties as assigned.
1. College Diploma/Certificate in a related field (e.g. Emergency Management) with two years related experience.
Relevant post-secondary education with three years related experience, may be considered.
2. Basic Emergency Management (EM200).
3. NFPA Hazardous Materials Awareness.
4. Possess or ability to obtain within designated time frame:
• Community Emergency Management Coordinator (CEMC) Certification
• NFPA 1031 Level I, includes; Fire Code Division B, Part 2 and 6
• NFPA 1035 Fire and Life Safety Educator I
5. Knowledge and understanding of:
• Fire Protection and Prevention Act and Regulation 217/07.
• Emergency Management & Civil Protection Act and Regulation 380/04.
• Ontario Fire College- Legislation.
6. Possess and maintain a valid “G” license.
7. Excellent reading, writing and communication skills to perform the duties of the position
8. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment including experience in Excel, Word and Outlook.
9. Meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
10. Work effectively and efficiently independently and as a team member in a fast paced environment.
11. Organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please provide a cover letter and resume highlighting your qualifications to:
Email [email protected]
Subject line 035-046-2022 Fire Prevention & Emergency Planning
This position is covered by a collective agreement, SSMPFFA 529. Applications from outside the bargaining unit are welcome, but can only be considered if the position is not filled from within the bargaining unit.
The Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
To apply for this job please visit www.saultstemarie.ca.