Are you invested in community building? Are you able to critically think and problem solve your way through a challenge within a team? Are you defined by the empathy you show towards other? We want to hear from you.
Bring your talents and step into a unique role serving our diverse community where the opportunity to make a positive difference is endless.
Our Brampton Fire and Emergency Services team is driven by exceptional service delivery and our behaviours and decisions are guided by our core values of courage, trust, compassion and integrity. As a valued member of the team, you will feel the pride of values-driven achievements and experience life-long supportive relationships. Be part of a fast-paced and rewarding environment where you can do your best work and inspire results for the citizens of Brampton.
What you can expect:
Expect to make a difference in your community.
Few careers offer the opportunity to make a positive impact in your community. In this role, you’ll have countless opportunities to support life-saving public education, lead charitable efforts, prevent harm and support the public when an emergency occurs.
Expect great pay and benefits.
We’ll come right out and say it. You won’t find the same starting pay levels, health and dental coverage, or pension benefits anywhere else.
Expect a whole new second family.
The bonds that develop in the fire service are unlike any other. You’ll build powerful, supportive relationships to last a lifetime. You’ll experience a supportive and collaborative environment.
Expect leading training and the latest technology.
Expect to grow and develop as a person.
You’ll learn more about yourself and the power of teamwork. You’ll understand what it really means to make a difference and how it feels when that kid you talked to brought your fire safety message home.
In this highly visible role, you will:
Reporting to the Division Chief, Fire Prevention this position:
- Conducts inspections and enforces the Ontario Fire Code and other relevant legislation and standards;
- Produces and maintains comprehensive documentation and reports related to all activities;
- Acts as an assistant to the Fire Marshal under the provisions of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act (FPPA).
- Participates in fire safety education programs, as assigned;
- Initiates the Fire Code enforcement process and acts as a witness in court or other proceedings as required;
- Inspects and tests various fire protection systems;
- Reviews various site plans as assigned with respect to code compliance and fire safety;
- Assist in providing training and guidance to other Fire and Emergency Services staff as required;
- Conducts fire investigations as assigned.
- Grade 12 education or equivalent secondary education as established by the Ontario Ministry of Education;
- Ontario College Advanced Diploma in Fire Protection Engineering Technology or equivalent;
- Minimum 2-5 years experience in fire protection inspection, installation, maintenance and/or enforcement or a related field;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Building Code;
- Demonstrated reliability;
- Demonstrated experience in the design, function, installation, maintenance and operation of the following systems: sprinkler systems, standpipe and hose systems, fire alarm and voice communication systems, commercial cooking equipment ventilation and various fire protection systems;
- Demonstrated customer service and public relations skills;
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable;
- Must possess and maintain a valid, non-probationary, Class “G” Ontario Driver’s License
- Must be able to lift and stand for extended periods of time;
- Must be willing and able to wear all required uniform clothing and/or personal protective equipment as assigned/required;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Must be available to work shift work and variable hours.
- Enforcement and court prosecution skills
- Knowledge of chemistry including knowledge of flammable and combustible liquids
- Fire fighting background
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $60,628.00 annual as per B.P.F.F.A Local 1068 Collective Agreement – 60% of a 1st Class Firefighter
**Classification Salary Range: $60,628.00 – $109,131.00 per annum
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: October 6, 2019
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103532 by October 6, 2019 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.