Website Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
The Fire Prevention Officer (Captain) position is an exciting opportunity to apply your strong plan review skills and experience in the fields of fire prevention and protection as part of the Whitchurch-Stouffville Fire and Emergency Services team, which strives to provide the highest level of life safety and property protection to those who live, work and play in our community. Reporting to the Deputy Fire Chief of Support, you will be responsible for the daily administration, operation, annual budget input, and staff assigned to the Fire Prevention/Education Division. Assess building plans and inspect premises within the community for compliance with relevant codes and standards as it relates to fire protection. Prepare inspection orders, review fire safety plans, investigate fires, testify and give evidence in court, prepare and deliver fire and life safety presentations to various stakeholders.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Minimum of 7 years of experience working in Fire Prevention.
• Diploma in Fire Protection, Building Construction, Engineering or equivalent education and experience.
• NFPA 1031 Level II – Fire Inspector.
• Successful completion of Ontario Fire College courses:
o Part 2 & 6 Fire Safety and Fire Protection Equipment
o Part 3 &5 Industrial, Commercial, Hazardous Materials, Processes and Operations
o Part 4 Flammable Liquids and Combustible Liquids
o Part 9 Retrofit
o Courtroom Procedures
• NFPA 1035 Level II – Public Educator (Preferred).
• NFPA 1033 – Fire Investigator (Preferred).
• Building Code Identification Number (BCIN), certification in: General Legal and Fire Protection.
• Demonstrated proficient working knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, Ontario Provincial Offence Act, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards.
• Experience conducting inspections of a broad range of occupancy types, conducting plans examination of new construction, delivering public education programs and facilitating prosecutions.
• Working knowledge of the Fire Protection & Prevention Act (FPPA), Occupational Health & Safety Act (OH&SA), Human Rights Code and Employment Standards Act (ESA).
• Strong working knowledge of technical aspects of alarm, detection, voice communication systems, elevators, sprinkler systems, fire pumps, generators, and other related fire protection systems.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office- Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Advanced interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with all municipal staff, elected officials, residents and other agencies.
• Track record as being organized with excellent communication, presentation, research & report-writing skills.
• Effective organization skills; ability to prioritize and meet deadlines regularly and high degree of accuracy.
• Problem-solving skills, discretion and good judgement when handling confidential/sensitive information and communicating with individuals regarding controversial matters; sensitivity and ability to maintain security of files.
• Availability to attend evening and weekend meetings in order to accommodate peak periods and workloads.
• A valid Ontario Class G driver’s license with less than 4 demerit points.
• A driver’s abstract and vulnerable sector screening must be provided as a condition of employment.
How to apply:
Please forward your resume in confidence by May 26, 2023, at 4:30 p.m., identifying Job # 2023-056-IE in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Committed to diversity and a barrier-free environment: Whitchurch-Stouffville is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and as we grow, it’s important that our workforce reflect the citizens we serve. At the Town, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com