City of Vaughan
Reviews plans submitted for compliance to relevant Codes and By-laws, especially dealing with fire protection and fire safety system(s) design, installation, and operation, and inspects such installations for compliance during construction, upon acceptance and reinspection, as required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Post-Secondary Diploma/Degree in Building Construction, Architecture, Engineering, or Fire Protection, or equivalent combination of education and experience in Fire Protection.
• Minimum two (2) years’ related experience with demonstrated aptitude for fire prevention/inspection duties is preferred.
• Consideration will be given to candidates that have successfully completed the examination programs administered or authorized by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing as an Inspector under the Category of Fire Protection (General Legal/Process 2012 and Fire Protection 2012 required), in accordance with O. Reg. 332/12, relating to the person’s knowledge of the Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code & BCIN.
• Progressive experience in areas of major job responsibilities.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret building plans and drawing, understanding construction details and features as well as industrial/manufacturing processes.
• NFPA 1031, Level 1; NFPA 1035, Level 1; NFPA 1033 – each considered an asset
• Excellent public relation presentation and communication skills, detailed technical report presentation capabilities and excellent written correspondence skills.
• Thorough working knowledge of applicable by-laws, codes and regulations.
• Working knowledge of applicable Codes and Regulations and technical aspects of fire alarm systems, fire detection systems, sprinkler systems, fire/booster pumps, suction and gravity tanks, standpipes, underground water supply piping, and special hazard systems for processes that can include those previously listed as well as control/extinguishing systems using clean agents, C02, dry chemical, foam/water solutions and combinations of systems integrated to provide life safety and/or fire control or extinguishment, such as smoke evacuation systems in high-rise buildings with standpipes, fire pumps, and sprinkler systems, or explosion or fire suppression in material handling or air-moving systems such as dust collection systems or chemical vapour removal systems, and specific fire protection measures as may be set out in the Ontario Building Code and Ontario Fire Code for various industries.
• Excellent analytical, report writing and verbal communications skills, along with the ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public and staff.
• Computer literacy in a Windows environment utilizing work processing, spreadsheet, database, and computer aided design software systems. Working knowledge of AMANDA database information system considered an asset.
• Working knowledge of NFPA standards.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in the City’s core as well as relevant departmental functional competencies.
• A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for field work and corporate use.
• Successful candidate will be required to submit a clear Vulnerable Sector Check from an accredited Police Service, prior to commencing employment.
• Registered professional Engineer with experience in Fire and Fire Protection systems considered an asset.
• Participate in and pass all components of an occupation specific medical and job simulation test circuit arranged by the corporation, determining (but not limited to) physical ability to climb stairs and ladder, kneel, bend walk for prolonged hours; lift and carry objects of varying weights; normal colour vision and acuity standards. Candidates failing to meet these requirements will be removed from the applicant pool.
To apply for this job please visit cityofvaughan.njoyn.com.