Website City of Markham
The City of Markham is proud to be recognized for the 4th consecutive year as one of Canada’s Best Employers by Forbes and Statista Inc. In 2024, the City of Markham is ranked the top city in Ontario and in the top 10 for Government Services. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as well as our fiscal accountability. More than 357,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life.
Applications are now being accepted for the full-time Fire Prevention Officer position in the Markham Fire and Emergency Services department.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume online at www.markham.ca/careers by February 23, 2024.
Join us and make a lasting difference!
The Fire Prevention Officer position is an exciting opportunity to apply your strong plan review skills and experience in the fields of fire prevention and protection as part of the Markham Fire and Emergency Services Department, which strives to provide the highest level of life safety and property protection to those who live, work and play in our community. Reporting to the Division Chief – Fire Prevention, you will enforce the Fire Prevention regulations of the Municipality and the Province of Ontario, by conducting comprehensive fire prevention inspections and surveys of all classes of buildings and occupancies to ensure conformity with all applicable laws. As an Assistant to the Fire Marshal, you will inspect and test fire-protection equipment and systems, prepare inspection orders, review fire safety plans, testify and give evidence in court, as well as prepare seminars on fire prevention and fire safety and present them to groups and members of the public.
Your professional profile as a Fire Prevention Officer will include:
- Community college diploma in Fire Protection Technology or a related discipline.
- At least 3 years’ experience in the fire and life safety field.
- Strong working knowledge of legislation, standards and regulations related to all aspects of fire protection, fire prevention and fire safety education.
- NFPA 1031, Level I Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector certification.
- Track record as an organized professional with excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, research and report-writing skills.
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence.
- Ontario Fire College graduate or are willing to successfully complete courses and upgrade your education as required.
- As a condition of employment, a satisfactory driver’s abstract and vulnerable sector screening check must be submitted.
This full-time position is subject to a 12-month probationary period and we offer a salary commensurate with experience and per the current collective agreement.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.