City of Kitchener
Posting Date: November 10, 2022
Closing Date: November 25, 2022
Job Status: 1 Full Time Permanent position and 1 Full Time Temporary position
The City of Kitchener is a vibrant and dynamic city of approximately 240,000, in the heart of southwestern Ontario. As the largest municipality in Waterloo Region, Kitchener continues to be poised for development and growth, enhancing its reputation as a leader in city-building and innovation, with nationally recognized strategies to build its neighbourhoods, its digital infrastructure and its diverse economy.
The City of Kitchener is WHERE you want to work! Learn more about the top reasons to join us:
Why work at the City of Kitchener
The City of Kitchener is looking for qualified candidates to join our Fire Prevention team. Reporting to the Chief and Assistant Fire Prevention Officers, the Fire Prevention Officer (FPO) will enhance fire and life safety in the City of Kitchener. Working independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team, FPOs conduct comprehensive fire and life safety inspections of all classes of buildings and occupancies to support and ensure a safe built environment for all City residents and visitors.
Under the direction of the Chief and Assistant Fire Prevention Officers, the FPO will be responsible to:
- Conduct fire and life safety inspections
- Conduct inspections under municipal by-laws
- Conduct fire investigations related to origin and cause
- Evaluate and recommend approval of fire safety plans
- Evaluate and recommend approval of compliance alternatives
- Evaluate building and site plans
- Initiate Ontario Fire Code enforcement
- Respond to public enquiries and attend public meetings
- Provide technical support and training to fire department personnel
- Perform administrative and other duties as assigned
- Maintain professional competencies
- Must have a minimum 3-year degree or diploma from an accredited university or community college in fire protection, building sciences, architecture or engineering or a related field
- Candidates with a minimum of five years of related work experience may be considered
- Must have an outstanding employment record
- Must have the ability to support and project values compatible with the organization
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Must have the ability to deal with difficult individuals, in a courteous and effective manner
- Must be committed to a team environment
- Must be able to work independently
- Must provide proof of a valid “G” license deemed acceptable by the City of Kitchener
- Must upon hiring, become qualified as an NFPA Fire Inspector I and II, NFPA Fire Investigator, and Ontario Building Code Fire Protection Inspector
Preference may be given to applicants with the following:
- Previous work experience in the role of fire prevention or building plans exam.
- Demonstrated commitment to community service involvement.
- Certified trades training or experience.
- NFPA 1031 and 1033 certifications.
- NFPA Certified Fire Protection Specialist
Employment is conditional upon the provision of a satisfactory and current Police Vulnerable Sector Check conducted within 30 days from day of hire. Any related costs are the sole responsibility of the applicant.
The City of Kitchener is committed to an equity-driven, inclusive, accessible, and barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and to ensuring our workforce reflects the full diversity of the community we serve. We welcome applications from Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ persons, as well as other equity deserving groups.
We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at [email protected], or 519-741-2200 ext. 7261 to make your needs known, so that we can support your full and equal participation throughout the hiring process.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants. Only candidates whose skills, experience and qualifications meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy HUM-HIR-110, “Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials”:
“The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students.”
Department: Community Services
Union Affiliation: KPFFA
Number of Positions: 2
Hours of Work: 42 hours per week
Initial Location: 270 Strasburg Road
Salary Range: $106,809 – $115,354
To apply for this job please visit www.kitchener.ca.