February 8, 2020 at 10:05 pm #11343Julien BoisvenueParticipant
- City: Hawkesbury
- Department Name: Hawkesbury Fire Department
I’m looking for the code that gives the distances of clearance required around and in front of an electrical panel. I don’t see it in the OFC and can’t seem to find it in the OBC. Do we need to refer to the EBC?
February 9, 2020 at 10:12 am #11357Al BastienParticipant
Hope this helps:
The Ontario Electrical Code:
Rule 2-308 Working space around electrical equipment
(1) A minimum working space of 1 m with secure footing shall be provided and maintained about electrical
equipment such as switchboards, panelboards, control panels, and motor control centres that are enclosed
in metal, except that working space is not required behind such equipment where there are no renewable
parts such as fuses or switches on the back and where all connections are accessible from locations other
than the back.
(2) The space referred to in Subrule (1) shall be in addition to the space required for the operation of drawout-
type equipment in either the connected, test, or fully disconnected position and shall be sufficient for
the opening of enclosure doors and hinged panels to at least 90°.
(3) Working space with secure footing not less than that specified in Table 56 shall be provided and maintained
around electrical equipment such as switchboards, control panels, and motor control centres having
exposed live parts.
(4) The minimum headroom of working spaces around switchboards or motor control centres where bare live
parts are exposed at any time shall be 2.2 m.
February 10, 2020 at 8:37 am #11382Nicholas MacGillivrayParticipant
you wont find it in the OFC. id be more looking at 22.214.171.124. accumulation of combustible materials. first the room has to be designed to store items other than having electrical equipment in there. and secondly, if the items in the room pose a fire hazard then you can have them removed.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.