Reply To: Rooming houses

HOME Forums Forums General Rooming houses Reply To: Rooming houses

Matthew RichardsonMatthew Richardson

Hello Heather,

We have an enormous volume of rooming houses in our Municipality, some of which serve the college that exists in our community. Realistically, if a single family home has been converted to room/boarding/lodging your Building Division should become involved for a potential change-of-use.  Otherwise, you could apply the existing requirements of 9.3 provided it meets the application. Try to remove the zoning aspect from your decision making as it doesn’t involve the FD. If it doesn’t comply with zoning, the Building Dept.’s direction or permit applications resulting from a FD order would bring up the non-compliance to zoning. The CBO could always issue a conditional permit also.