The executive minutes have been updated for 2011.
Log in to the secure side of the site and click on the OMFPOA Documents tab to access these and other documents.
An article by Vik Kirsch of the Guelph Mercury on Wednesday November 23, 2011.
ARTHUR — North Wellington fire prevention officer Jason Benn is hopeful a recent $5,000 fine in a Guelph court is a wake-up call that people must have working smoke alarms in their residences.
Benn said there were gasps from the courtroom’s public gallery when the sharp fine was levied.
“I think that sends a message,” Benn said Tuesday.
On a fire safety inspection July 5, officials from Wellington North Fire Services entered a rental farmhouse east of Arthur, on Wellington County Road 109, at the request of Ontario Provincial Police investigating a possible marijuana-growing operation.
Inspection by firefighters found insufficient smoke alarms and one that wasn’t working.
The fine was levied Nov. 16 in Guelph against a Mississauga landlord for failing to maintain working smoke alarms in the rental property, contrary to the Ontario Fire Code.
Fire alarms are required, Benn said, on each floor of a dwelling. The preferred location is outside bedroom areas on those levels where people sleep.
Benn said fire officials are increasingly focusing on fire alarms and taking action against transgressions. Though that hasn’t yet reached the point of zero tolerance, Benn said it’s not far off the mark these days.
As to fines, the $5,000 one in this latest incident isn’t the stiffest he’s encountered to date.
“It’s not the highest fine I’ve ever seen.” He recalled one in which a landlord was given a fine of about $15,000, though that was for a few fire code transgressions.
A residential sprinkler at a condominium apartment in East Brampton saved the day, according to firefighters.
From the Brampton Guardian article of 7 August 2011.
Sprinkler saved the day: Firefighters
By PAM DOUGLAS – Brampton Guardian August 7, 2011
A residential sprinkler system saved the day for an east end resident whose apartment caught fire recently, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services reports. Fire crews were called to the third floor apartment at 4 Dayspring Circle on Thursday, Aug. 3 at 10:42 p.m. When they arrived, they found that the fire, which started in the kitchen and was cooking-related, had been extinguished by the activation of a single fire sprinkler head.
The lone occupant of the apartment escaped unharmed, and property damage was minimal, according to Brian Maltby, the city’s division chief, fire prevention. “The sprinkler head activation held the fire in check until the firefighters could arrive and resulted in very little fire or smoke damage,” Maltby said.
The apartment, and the two apartments directly below it on the second and first floors, suffered some water damage from the sprinkler head, but the property loss was “remarkably minor, considering what the outcome could have been,” Maltby said.
“The sprinkler system preformed exactly as intended, and this is truly an excellent example of the value of sprinklers in residential occupancies,” according to Maltby. He said he shudders to think what would have happened if the building had not been equipped with a sprinkler system, and he is confident the damage would have been much more extensive, posing a danger to the residents of the building.
Maltby and Brampton fire have been advocating for mandatory residential sprinkler systems for some time, pointing to incidents such as the Dayspring fire as examples of their effectiveness.
ONTARIO MUNICIPAL FIRE PREVENTION OFFICERS ASSOCIATION